Kilsaran School News 25 – January
Celebrating 125 years in 2018
This year the school is celebrating its 125th Anniversary. This is a major event in the history of our school and community. The school is planning a number of events to mark this occasion.
- We are starting our celebrations with our First Grandparents Day which will be held on Wednesday 31st January, see details below.
- Our next event will be the Bellingham Ball taking place on Friday 16th February in Bellingham Castle. I would like to encourage as many parents as possible to attend what promises to be a great night (more details below).
- After Easter we will have a few days where we will put all our old school records, dating back to the1890s on display, anyone from the area will be allowed to come in and view the records to look up past relations who may have attended school..
- On the 30th September 2018 the Archbishop of Armagh, Eamon Martin, will be celebrating Sunday Mass at 11am in St Mary’s Church, Kilsaran.
- In November 2018 we will hold our 125 Anniversary Concert
- Our Celebrations will end with our Christmas Carol Service in December 2018
The Board of management of the school meets five times a year to oversee the running of the school. School policies are discussed and ratified at these meetings. The Principal reports to the Board on all that is happening in the school, the treasurer gives an update on school finances and any instructions from the DES are discussed.
This year the children will be learning how to samba drum. Starting on Monday 29th January and continuing for six weeks Kieran Gallagher will be teaching the children from Junior Infants to 6th Class how to play the Samba Drums. Kieran has been giving courses in Samba Drumming for years. The Children from 2nd-6th Class will have 6 lessons and the children from Junior Infants to 1st Class will have 3 lessons each. On the 7th week which is Monday 12th March, all the children will put on a performance for parents in the school hall. The cost of the lessons will be €3 per lesson and it can be paid weekly or in full, therefore children in 2nd Class up will pay €18 for all six lessons or €3 per week for 6 weeks and the children from Junior Infants to 1st Class will pay €9 for three lessons or €3 every other week. Our Special Classes will also get an opportunity to try out the drumming.
This year we are very excited to be holding a Grandparents’ Day in the school.Grandparents are invited to come to the school on Wednesday 31st January to visit classes and tell the children about school in their time. Some grandparents will also be demonstrating to the children how to make St Brigid’s Crosses as the day fall on the eve of Lá Fheile Bríde. If you know any grandparents who might be interested please let them know
M & M productions from England will be returning to the school on Wednesday 31st January to perform “Sleeping Beauty”. Tickets are €4 per child, €6 for 2 children from the same family and €8 for families of three or more. Tickets may be purchased on day of production.
Following on from our success over the last three years, 5th Class in the school have entered an Irish language Drama competition. We will be taking to the stage in Dundalk on Friday 2nd March.
To celebrate our 125th Anniversary we will be holding our Bellingham Ball on Friday 16th February in Bellingham Castle. Anyone who has attended the Ball before has had a great night.
If you are a past pupil of the school who wants to meet up with some school friends or if you’re new to the area and would like to see what’s on offer in the village or if you would just like an excuse to dress up and have a great night in a Castle,( remember Gentlemen this is Valentine’s weekend, you couldn’t do better than bring Cinderella to a Ball!!) Tickets @€50 each are available from school office
The First Communion will take place on Saturday 5th May at 11.00a.m. in St Mary’s Church.
The Confirmation Ceremony will take place on Wednesday 30th May 2018 at 11.00a.m. in Stabannon..
Plans and school policies are regularly reviewed by the Board of Management and they are available to view on the school website. If anyone wants a hard copy of a policy they should make a request in writing to the office stating the policy that they want.
The school will be closed on Thursday and Friday the 15th and 16th February.
The school will also be closed on Monday 19th March for the Bank Holiday
On Friday 23rd March the school will close at 12.15 for the Special Classes and Infant Classes and at 12.30 for the other classes for the Easter Holidays
The school will reopen on Monday 9th April after the Easter Break.
On Tuesday 17th April the school will be closed as the staff will be attending Inservice training in the New Language Curriculum
- Credit Union Quiz will be taking place in school on the 29th We will be sending 6 teams to the quiz which will take place in the O’ Connells Clubrooms at midday. The Credit Union is organizing a bus for our teams
- Pancake Day For the past 10 years the Parents Association have organized pancakes for the children on Pancake Tuesday. Parents come in on that morning to make pancakes for the children. The children love this day and it has become a great way for parents to meet one another. This year Pancake Tuesday will be on the 13th We would love to see plenty of new parents volunteer for this day. If you are new to the school and can spare a few hours on that day please leave your details in the office. Volunteers are needed.
- Keep up the good work and thanks for your support to the school.